Caribbean Potato Salad
Posted From: http://www.africanbites.com/caribbean-potato-salad/
Caribbean Potato Salad -This is an incredible potato salad is creamy, luscious, tasty and chock full of vegetables.
I would say this is the perfect potato salad for any summer barbecue and is great for picnics too. It is almost summer and barbecues, cookouts, parties and picnics are all the rage at this time of the year.
If you are planning one or attending one, here is one recipe that would fit right in, regardless of the menu. It is a great make ahead dish and you can use any potatoes you have on hand, it will work just fine. It is very important that you lightly salt your potatoes when boiling -It makes a lot of difference
What makes this salad uniquely Caribbean is the addition of peas, carrots, and eggs and of course, Heinz creamy salad dressing- I just love Heinz salad dressing, it is a childhood favorite.
It is available in some supermarkets, here in the United States and you would definitely find them in Caribbean and African markets. Enjoy
- 1 pound potato cleaned and cut in bite size pieces
- 2-3 boiled eggs
- 1 cup or more cups peas and carrots
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup Heinz Salad dressing
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon Cajun spice
- ¼ cup sweet relish
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Then add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm to the touch, about 5-10 minutes. Drain water.
- Chop eggs and add to the potatoes
- In a medium bowl combine the chopped onions, mayonnaise, sour cream, Heinz dressing , relish, Cajun spice, , mustard, and mayonnaise. Mix well, add to the potato and egg mixture. Adjust for salt and pepper.Refrigerate until ready to eat.