This giveaway is hosted by Caribbean Green Living in partnership with The Spice Monger A Mother’s Day Giveaway Excited about baking with savory spices? I am a huge fan of spices. I love baking with spices. Adding cinnamon to my Fluffy Apple Pancakes or adding ground ginger to my favorite Coconut Chocolate Muffins. Before pulling […]
The post The Spice Monger Baker’s Box Prize Giveaway (4/28 – 5/7) appeared first on Caribbean Green Living.
Baked Scotch Eggs – Hard-boiled egg wrapped in a Flavorful Spicy Ground beef or Sausage , rolled in delicious crunchy case – Baked or Fried to Perfection ! Big, meaty and satisfying, Great as an appetizer, for brunch , breakfast or picnic.
What can I say about these scotch eggs? The first time I made these was in my Home economics class, without a recipe, and to cut a long story short- it was a tasty mess! It fell apart during the cooking process, the up side? I got make a delicious sandwich out of it and still do! It makes for an amazing sandwich with hot sauce and a salad on the side .
These appetizing scotch eggs originated in London –created by Fortnum and Masons .They were meant to be portable snacks, for long journeys. Due to it’s popularity they have quickly become a staple in pubs and restaurant menus. In fact , it was the first thing I tried while visiting London- I do prefer the homemade version though.
I get to play around with it and make it sometimes with less guilt- Like Baking and using not so fatty meat.
At first glance you would think are complicated – wrong! They are ridiculously easy to make. All you need is sausage meat, boiled eggs and seasoned breadcrumbs .For added flavor, include minced garlic and parsley. Omit these spices or switch out the spices for more to suit your taste buds.
I always like to offer up more options , so here you have the baked scotch eggs and Fried – both taste great!
You may also serve with a good dipping sauce and or pickles
Tips and Notes
Use 4 to 5 large Eggs if Medium is not available .
When making eggs for scotch egg it’s best to let them cook about 1-2 minutes less than your desired outcome. Over cooked eggs will leave you with a less appetizing gray ring around the yolk- No Bueno!
For the super crispy exterior use panko (Japanese bread crumbs) where available. If not Seasoned bread crumbs would do just fine.
If don’t have seasoned bread crumbs then make your own bread crumbs garlic, onion, parsley and ground pepper
I usually make scotch eggs with a variety of ground meat ( Sausage, chicken , beef ). However, you may have to adjust seasonings depending on personal preference.
Use this recipe as a base and go from there
- 6 medium hard cooked eggs peeled
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage (ground beef)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoons onion powder
- ½-1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- ½ – 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt (omit if using seasoned sausage meat)
- 1 teaspoon (hot pepper ) adjust to taste
- ½ cup flour
- 2 medium eggs lightly beaten
- 1-cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Remove casings form sausage and place in a bowl.
- Add, garlic, cayenne pepper,thyme, granulated onions, white pepper and salt. Mix thoroughly. Divide into equal portions and then shape into a thin round, flat enough to fit around the egg.
- Gently wrap the sausage meat around the egg as evenly as possible making sure there are no cracks or opening.
- Lightly roll the boiled eggs in the flour, shaking off excess, followed by the egg mixture egg.
- Roll in breadcrumbs mixture to coat
- Bake for about 25- 30minutes, or until sausage is thoroughly cooked and no longer pink near egg.
- In a large, sauce pan pour vegetable oil, until it is at least 2 inches deep, heat to 350 degrees F. Fry for about 5 -8 minutes until it is golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels before serving.
- Serve warm or at room temperature
Gather all the ingredients necessary before proceeding -Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a baking tray with parchment paper
Remove casings form sausage and place in a bowl. Add, garlic, cayenne pepper,thyme, granulated onions, white pepper and salt. Mix thoroughly.
Lightly roll the boiled eggs in flour , then shake off excess flour.
Divide into equal portions and then shape into a thin round, flat enough to fit around the egg.
Gently wrap the sausage meat around the egg as evenly as possible making sure there are no cracks or opening.
After rolling eggs dip in egg mixture egg.
Heavily coat in breadcrumbs mixture .
You are set to Fry or bake at this point.
I’ll start by sharing a few secrets with you on how to create easy side dishes. Creating the perfect side dish is easy. You may disagree and agree with that statement. Before you disagree, allow me to explain why. I grew up eating vegetables every day and as a young child, I was exposed to the […]
Like this Post?: Health benefits of horny goat weed from our series on the Health..